Stoma Care mobile app
To enhance the connectivity between patients with stoma, osmotic nurses and surgeons.
Project start date : 07/10/2017
Beneficiary country : Sri Lanka
About the project
Colon and rectal cancer is the 3rd commonest cancer in men and second commonest cancer in women worldwide. Some of these patient will have to have a stoma (an out pouching of bowel contents through the abdominal wall) either temporary or permanently. These stoma patients under go enormous mental and physical stress due to stoma. The social stigma is not to be forgotten as well. This Stoma Care was primarily designed to enhance the connectivity among the stoma patients, osmotic nurse and surgeons.
The benefits are :
1. Stoma patients can be in contact with their assigned osmotic nurses 24/24 [&] 7/7. Patients can receive advice on their stoma and the treating surgeon can view the chat between the nurse and patient, and if necessary can provide their expert input. This increases patient compliance and a sense of caring.
2. Patients can request a temporary or permanent change of osmotic nurses if they are changing their residences or travelling for a long duration. This will ensure a continuity of care and reduce lost to follow up.
3. Send notifications on events related to stoma patients peer groups, stoma workshops and awareness programs.
4. Surgeon can view the osmotic nurses assigned to him and the patients under his care. Also Patients history and details can be viewed negating the need for patients to carry records.
5. Gives the opportunity to share experience of having a stoma with other patients.
6. Provides information on colon and rectal cancer and stoma.
The connectivity among stoma patients, osmotic nurses and surgeons.
Increase patient compliance and reduce the psychological stress of having a stoma.
Keeps the osmotic nurses, stoma patients and surgeons updated with the oncoming activities and events.
No other app connects the stoma patients with their nurses or surgeon.
2 Full-Time equivalents
2 Service providers
Number of beneficiaries since launch