Using digital technologies to improve maternal and infant health care access
Project start date : 15/06/2013
Beneficiary country : Cameroon Nigeria
About the project
Leveraging on the huge penetration of mobile phone technology across Africa, GiftedMom has bridged this gap by developing an automated SMS and voice messaging platform which:
– sends notifications to pregnant women reminding them of the date of their next antenatal care session or baby vaccination.
– sends life-saving educative messages to these women regarding pregnancy, labour, delivery, vaccination, breastfeeding, and postnatal care.
– provides a two-way communication between the woman and health professionals whereby these women can provide their health concerns and receive advice from a health care professional.
In collaboration with the Ministry of Public health in Cameroon, over 29,000 pregnant women and nursing mothers across the country are been followed up in partnership with 28 health facilities and over 40 community health workers. We plan to impact 5million by 2019 as our scale up plan for this year includes Haiti, Rwanda, Kenya, Mali and Nigeria where leads have already been developed.
The problem of maternal and infant deaths remains a great challenge in Cameroon and most developing countries. Governments and partners have put in place guidelines and resources for antenatal and postnatal care but the challenge is there are limited channels to get these information to pregnant women and nursing mothers. All of these lead to a delay in women taking decisions to seek health care and also late arrivals at health care all culminating to maternal and infant deaths.
14 Full-Time equivalents
1 Service providers
Number of beneficiaries since launch
- Healthcare professionals and structures (hospitals, healthcare centres/clinics, health networks)
- Pregnant women
- Children - adolescents (ages 6-18)
- Young children (0-5 years)
- Decreased mortality
- Decreased morbidity
- Cellular (mobile) phone
- Connected objects
- Mobile telecommunications (without data connection)
- Mobile app (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, HTML5, etc.)
About the sponsor
GiftedMom is a social entreprise that uses digital technologies to improve maternal and infant health care access. Our current clients are:
– international health NGOs such as UNFPA,to whom we sell our white-label mhealth platform to impact women in the Far North region of Cameroon.
– Mobile network operators: we sell health content to these clients.
– FMCGs and Pharmas : we sell user data and in-message ads.
Sector : Industrial (Startups, enterprises, etc.)
Country of origin : Cameroon
Contact : Sponsor website Project website
Yes, auto-evaluated or evaluated by a related organization